Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hair


Hair.

So what is the big deal with hair?!

It is if you don’t have any.

I was 17.  It was February, and a chilly day.  And I was heading to a youth service.  I didn’t really want to go.  By this point in my life, I already have been through too much heartache.  Plus my grandfather passed away only a few shorts months ago. It was tragic for me, and I know many people did not understand why I was so upset.  Because he raised me.  He taught me everything I knew.  He was the closest human being to me, and he was gone.   I miss him to this day.  I can’t wait to see him once again when we are reunited. 

I didn’t want to go and haven’t been to youth in a long time, but I decided what is there to lose, so I got in my car and drove.   And I kept thinking, why did I say Yes to going.  

And then out of nowhere, like in slow motion.  I see a car heading straight at me.  Glass shattering everywhere.  Bright lights and loud noises.

There I was alone in my car, with glass all over me.  As I regained my conscious, I was like “God, why can’t you just take me now”???

I didn’t know why he let me live.  I didn’t want to.  I honestly didn’t really have any purpose. The ambulance arrived, and I could hear a couple arguing.  “Look what you did?” They were arguing, and he ran a red light. 

I was at the hospital lying in the cold room alone.  Moments passed, and then they started taking glass out of my body and face.  I felt like someone had stomped on me and threw me against a wall.  My head was ringing, my eyes were hurting.  I was in so much pain.  I just kept thinking, please just take me now.

My doctor put me on a few prescription drugs.  Several months passed and I started to have severe heart pains.  And noticed my hair was thinning.  I told my doctor and he said it was stress.  He took me off the drugs.  And later I found out Vioxx was recalled.

My hair didn’t stop.  I lost it all.  I had no hair. 

I don’t know if it was the pills or stress, or if it was caused by the severance of head injury.  My doctor said it was the drugs. 

And how long did this all go on for? 

7 years.

Ironically that has always been my lucky number.

I had to wear a wig for 7 years.  Most people did not know.  Most people did not care to even notice.  I was so alone through these years.  I was so hurt and alone.  My husband was there, but if you are a woman you know our glory is our hair.  I use to have such beautiful long hair.    When someone would tell me I was pretty.  I would laugh on the inside.  If you only knew what I really look like, I would think to myself. 

I can count the number of people that knew my issue on my fingers.  I didn’t want to tell too many because then everyone would feel sorry for me and treat me differently.  Like I was sick.  And I always thought maybe there was really something wrong me with me.  I didn’t go see a doctor during this time, I didn’t see the purpose.  They would just put me on more drugs.

I didn’t want to lay the burden on them.  To tell them my story, my heartache.  The people that knew were  very close to me, and understood my struggle but still loved me enough to treat me the same.

I managed to live somewhat of a normal life.  I would never tell my coworkers, I would never tell anyone I met.  I didn’t trust many people.  I kept a lot to myself. 

I screamed to God.  WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?? WHY DIDN’T YOU JUST TAKE ME THEN.  Anytime I was alone, I cried.  I went in and out of depression for the next 7 years.  My marriage was a wreck at times. 

I had a dream.  I had this dream many times over the next several years.  I was looking at the ocean, the peaceful water.  And there, I saw a beautiful woman.  She was wearing a white flowy dress and had gorgeous long dark locks.  I kept trying to get closer to her, and I would wake up. 

Then one night, I got close enough to her, and as she turned around, I saw my face.  It was me.  How could this be?  I woke up and told me husband, and we cried together.  I had this dream many more times. 

And I had peace in my heart.  I had hope.

After I found out I was pregnant in October  2009, I was filled with a love I have never known.  It was short lived, as I had a miscarriage in December.  I’m not even sure how many months I was in.  But I was heartbroken.  I felt like someone took my heart away.  I went to work the next day and tried to put a smile on my face.  HOW WILL I EVER GET THROUGH ALL THIS??

Then a short few months later in March, I was pregnant again.  OH THE LOVE.  THE LOVE I FELT.  It overwhelmed me.  I was so happy so thrilled.  I knew this love was from God.  Over the next few months, I noticed something.

My hair. 

It was growing.  And it was growing at rapid speed! I know when you are pregnant, hair grows superfast.  But mine was literally just growing in insane speed.  I just thanked God, but still wore my wig.  I didn’t know if it would last. 

And it did! I gave birth to my angel on December 28, 2010.  And she is the sunshine in my life.  The love is what made everything so beautiful.  My Mashenka.  I love you forever, I love you for always!

My hair is long again, just like that girl in my dream.

Through all this, I have learned that no one is really who they say they are.  We are all so much more.  We all have secrets.  We all have stories, and heartache.  If I was a writer, I could write a book about these 7 years.

 7 years of struggle. 

7 years of pain.

 7 years of lessons. 


We are all beautiful.  Please don't judge a book by its cover.  On the outside, I looked like a normal girl.  On the inside, I was battling through so much that it was a struggle to just get out of bed every morning.  Life is short and life can be very hard sometimes.  Look to God in those times.  Run to him and cry to him.  He will comfort you.  I don't know why I went through this, and I might never know, but I did survive.  And if you are going through something like this, it will pass.  Everything in life is temporary.  There is sunshine on the other side of all this, I promise.
Now smile and go enjoy the beautiful things in life and be thankful for everything.

 Till next time.

Always Lovely,


Luba

 

19 comments:

  1. Wow...what an awful beginning with a happy ending experinece!!!...you are a one strong woman that i know..and it means so much when people like you share stories such as this one..i think we all sometimes take life for granted without realizing how lucky we are to have what we have and to be healthy inside out. Thank you so much for sharing. May God bless you and your little family. U are a truly beautiful woman and an amazing mom and wife to your husband. All the best to you=)
    -Anna Kot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a heartfelt post. We should all be grateful for what we have...

    missjaynebecca.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lubashenka,
    I almost cried when I finished reading this post. I am so sorry you had to go through that, but I'm so glad you have found peace with yourself again. I have gone through 5 years of depression myself and I know how our priorities change when we start doubting our existence. You have a truly beautiful heart and I'm so glad I found your blog through Veronica. Hugs and Kisses for Mashenka,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried when I read this Luba...you are so strong and amazing. Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. My heart goes out to you and I am so glad you started this blog because I know you will inspire a lot of women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear luba

    I'm writing this with tears in my eyes and with a great mixture of joy and sadness....

    you are so right when you say that there is so much behind what other people see in you... never I have imagined a woman as pretty as you would have gone through so many things and for me this is what makes you so special, because you reflect that internal beauty....

    It is often difficult to see the light at the end of the road, waiting for that wonderful day in which everything that you are going through stays magically in the past and the future is a promise of an endless great things to come.... and as you said... you have to stay strong and pray to god to that day to come.

    I think you are a special person who had the strength to overcome everything that happened to you and also has the ability to reach, inspire, and help other people though your experience. Im sure you will have a brilliant future of an endless number of good things to come...

    Thank you very much for sharing your story,

    always love...

    your spanish reader.

    liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luba,
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I read this with tears in my eyes as I'm going through a similar battle. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 3 years ago. I was put on horrible meds and eventually surgery was a last resort. My hair started falling out right after. I was told it's the meds, your body is in shock from surgery, it will stop and grow back. I'm still waiting 3 years later. I lost about 3/4 of my hair and have tape in extensions that have literally saved my sanity. A woman losing her hair is beyond devastating. I cried every morning, I refused to brush my long blonde hair because every time I did handfuls came out. So your story gives me hope! Now I'm healthy and pretty normal but the hair is a constant reminder of this stupid disease. Thank you so much for sharing! I pray that my outcome is just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you! I completely understand where you are coming from. You are beautiful and thank you for sharing your story with me. It makes me realize we are not alone. I felt so lonely with my battle, and there is hope. I will keep you in my prayers.

      Luba

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story so candidly! I'm sure it will help many others going through similar situations, God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Luba lovely this story is so touching. Seeing your beautiful hair now, it's hard to believe you went through hair loss as drastic as that! You are truly lovely, inside and out. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very touching story :( It gave mi chills all over my body. All I can say is 'Keep your head high'.

    http://sanjaburgundy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I was reading this I felt as if I was there seeing it all. This is a powerful story that brought me to tears. You are so beautiful and I love the happy ending of this story.

    P.S. Weird coincidence but 7 is my lucky number also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Luba :)
    Your story is beautiful! All of the wonderful people I know have been through terrible things. It is a dull cliche, but the more we get through , the better and cleaner* we get, because we learn and grow and refuse to live in bitterness forever. Loss of family is always a disaster, not just family, but the blood relatives, which are close (you know, not all blood relations have to be strong and meaningful). I have recently lost someone with whom we were never friends, yet I think of it everyday (for the last half a year now), because the bonds between people are so complicated...
    I can not agree that the cover is often misleading about the content. And I wish you all of the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this. What a great reminder to turn to God for everything and to never get into the pity party mood where you think everyone has it easier. The truth is you just don't know. I'm so happy that the vision you saw in your dream came to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that was so beautiful! it is so inspiring to see your strength and how you came through such a difficult time. I am sure women out there that relate will gain strength from reading about your experience. More power to you and congratulations!

    xo Moussia
    www.fashionfirecracker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your story. SO powerful! Continue being fab and faithful!

    God bless!

    -Swanky

    SWANKYCYN.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your story. SO powerful! Continue being fab and faithful!

    God bless!

    -Swanky

    SWANKYCYN.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a touching story! Thank you so much for sharing. You have such beautiful hair now, I would have never guessed! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cannot fathom the pain you had gone through for nearly a decade...but God knew what He was doing. Your experiences made you so much stronger and full of so much love and appreciation for all He blesses us with. Thank you for sharing Lubachka! I sure am glad I came across this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I love your comments/suggestions. I read each one of them and I appreciate you taking the time to leave one.